 Off-Topic / Debate / 25159
25158  |  25160
Subject:
Michael Moore sued for lying?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 23:08:17 GMT

It seems that Moore played it a little too fast and loose in F-9/11. A newspaper was shown on screen with “Latest Florida recount shows Al Gore won election” as its headline. The Pantagraph of Bloomington Illinois, which is the newspaper in question, apparently took significant umbrage at this, as the “headline” was actually the title attached to a letter to the editor that was buried deep within the paper. They’re now suing him for one million dollars and asking that he apologize.

I’ll be terribly amused if this screws his shot at getting another Oscar for “Best Documentary”, but what’s more interesting is how this is going to end up playing right into the GOP’s hands. Moore is one of those individuals who is worshipped by his followers and despised by most everyone else, so his movies tend to further alienate anyone who wasn’t already on the bandwagon as it is, meaning that much of rural America will be more likely to vote for GWB as a result of any perceived personal attack on a President that they have an easier time associating with. Being able to show that he fudged the facts to suit his message is just going to fuel a new wave of backlash, but it also hurts the Dems ability to ride his coattails without looking like history revisionists themselves.