 Off-Topic / Debate / 25086
Re: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:08:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
Not the way I understand what an agnostic is.  An agnostic holds that the
ultimate truth about God existing or not existing is not knowable.  That's
not undecided, though many undecided people misuse the term "agnostic" to
describe themselves.  An agnostic is holding a firm position, undecided
people aren't (contrast 1) You can't prove to me that God does or does not
exists, with 2) Maybe God exists, maybe he doesn't, Idunno).  Describing an
agnostic as "undecided" is like calling a scientist undecided about the
theory of relativity because he can change his conviction based on later
evidence.

Huh! I guess I've never really investigated the meaning; rather I've just gone
by how people use it (which, for philosophic terms, I'm more inclined to doing
anyway, and reject outright whatever a dictionary says if it tells me
differently from how it's used commonly-- IE I won't rely on a dictionary's
definiton of "God" or "Reality") So, sadly, I've reverted to the sort who looks
up words in dictionaries: According to m-w.com:

: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown
and prob. unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in
either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

Dictionary.com:

n.
1 a. One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.
  b. One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess
     true atheism.
2. One who is doubtful or noncommittal about something.

adj.
1. Relating to or being an agnostic.
2. Doubtful or noncommittal: “Though I am agnostic on what terms to use, I
   have no doubt that human infants come with an enormous ‘acquisitiveness’
   for discovering patterns” (William H. Calvin).

Word History: An agnostic does not deny the existence of God and heaven but
holds that one cannot know for certain whether or not they exist. The term
agnostic was fittingly coined by the 19th-century British scientist Thomas
H. Huxley, who believed that only material phenomena were objects of exact
knowledge. He made up the word from the prefix a-, meaning “without, not,”
as in amoral, and the noun Gnostic. Gnostic is related to the Greek word
gnsis, “knowledge,” which was used by early Christian writers to
mean “higher, esoteric knowledge of spiritual things” hence, Gnostic
referred to those with such knowledge. In coining the term agnostic, Huxley
was considering as “Gnostics” a group of his fellow intellectuals“ists,” as
he called them who had eagerly embraced various doctrines or theories that
explained the world to their satisfaction. Because he was a “man without a
rag of a label to cover himself with,” Huxley coined the term agnostic for
himself, its first published use being in 1870.

Interesting. I'm actually rather suprised to see (given the above history) that
the dictionary.com version actually lists as a seperate meaning "doubtful or
noncomittal", which appears to not even need any religious or philosophic
context (IE being "agnostic" about which terms to use? Meaning [by strict
definition] that it is decidedly impossible to know which words to use?
Certainly appears to stray from the inital definition).

Ah well, something new every day, I suppose...

DaveE