 Off-Topic / Debate / 25087
25086  |  25088
Subject:
Politicians allowed to veto use of news footage?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 08:12:34 GMT

Our largely taxpayer-funded free to air TV channel, the ABC, now says it can’t sell archival footage of politicians to 3rd party documentary makers, unless they get permission from the politician involved.

They think “...the ABC could be exposed to the risk of claims under the Trade Practices Act or pursuant to the tort of Passing Off.”

Anyone else know of any news/media organisations that have the same policy? Seems a bit silly to me.

ROSCO