 Off-Topic / Debate / 25095
Re: Politicians allowed to veto use of news footage?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:41:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford wrote:
   They think “...the ABC could be exposed to the risk of claims under the Trade Practices Act or pursuant to the tort of Passing Off.”

Anyone else know of any news/media organisations that have the same policy? Seems a bit silly to me.

Not in the US. At least not any that I’ve ever heard. Once you’re deemed to be “in the public eye”, you lose a lot of your privacy rights while in the public view (they can’t sneak into your house, but they might be able to get away with peeking through a fence that borders a public sidewalk, and they can cling to you like parasites when you’re out on the streets). There are, of course, situations where it would be illegal for other reasons, such as if those terms were negotiated as part of an exlusive interview deal, or if the footage was originally supplied by a 3rd party who continues to hold the copyrights.