 Off-Topic / Debate / 25096
Re: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:01:13 GMT

   I think it’s more accurate to say that our founding fathers believed rights to be inherent to some people, but they had no problem in accommodating slavery and the denial of women’s suffrage. These aren’t trifling matters, either--the founding fathers made a choice, conscious or otherwise, to include certain groups (by coincidence, predominantly wealthy white male land owners (then as now, I suppose)) and to exclude others. The rights of those “others” were certainly alienable.

To be fair, slaves and women were seen more as property than people by many of the colonists, and they basically inherited the idea that political rights were tied to landownership from England. But if you were a white male landowner in the 1770’s, they considered that certain rights were indeed inalienable to you. Or at least they said they did. For all we know that could have just been political posturing as a way of just saying, “We figured out that you only have as much control over us as we’re willing to give you, so go away now,” while making it sound more important.