 Off-Topic / Debate / 25079
Re: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:08:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote:
Okay, okay, I'll buy that.  But in casual conversation and in debates in
general, can you give me a term to use that will be as readily understood
as "atheist?"

What's wrong with "agnostic"?

I dislike that term because it's often seen as too wishy-washy, or a way to
hedge one's bet.  It can also carry a connotation of undecidedness, due not
to a lack of evidence but a lack of conclusion.  Additionally, if you say
"I'm an agnostic" to 100 people on the street, I'd guess that better than 90
of them would understand you to mean "I haven't made a decision re: which
religion is right for me, but I think that one of them is."

I definitely agree-- to be agnostic is really to be undecided. And if you really
simply "don't believe in God", but *would* if given sufficient reason, then I'd
say agnostic matches pretty well.

Not the way I understand what an agnostic is.  An agnostic holds that the
ultimate truth about God existing or not existing is not knowable.  That's not
undecided, though many undecided people misuse the term "agnostic" to describe
themselves.  An agnostic is holding a firm position, undecided people aren't
(contrast 1) You can't prove to me that God does or does not exists, with 2)
Maybe God exists, maybe he doesn't, Idunno).  Describing an agnostic as
"undecided" is like calling a scientist undecided about the theory of relativity
because he can change his conviction based on later evidence.

-->Bruce<--