 Off-Topic / Debate / 2503
Re: Discussion (Was: Blue Hopper Car Mania...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 17:03:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:
John DiRienzo wrote:

   Instead of spending our time figuring new dumb ways to tax people, I have
an idea (1)... how about not taxing people?  I like it.  I like it a lot.
   But your idea has lots of room for loopholes.  Like buying stuff on the
net.  Like drugs - how does it help?  Drug money is spent on more drugs, or
attorneys, or fines, anyway.  Does sales tax apply to services?  Then there
are even more under the table services.  Taxing people... its such a waste.

(1) - void where prohibited by law.

A nice idea, true, but one that is impractical, as of right now. I would love
not to be taxed, but I don't think it is practical. Our current society needs • to
pay for certain things (I.E., military, roads, etc.), but not in the way, the
amount, or the scope, of government that we have today. I am all for
privatization of things, but in this current climate, I don't know if anything
is going to change outside of a revolution, or some other drastic measure.

Scott S.

There has got to be a better way. A drastic measure is not such a bad idea.
Its too bad, I think, that our current system of govt/economy is so
established at this point, and protects itself so jealously, that really we
probably won't have any sort of MAJOR change until it all just fails miserably-
which will be a long time and when it happens will be pretty bad. Its like we
won't really do anything about polution and the environment until its as bad
as people say its going to be. Also, we probably won't really do anything
about overpopulation until mother nature takes care of it for us. Unfortunely,
she's not terribly gentle when she corrects overpopulation problems herself.
Didn't mean to stray so much- this thread was really not about taxes anyway,
but I couldn't help jumping in.

Yes, there are loopholes in the flat tax idea, but, I believe, FEWER loopholes
than in the current system. Services could be taxed, I suppose. I'm not an
economist.

Chris