 Off-Topic / Debate / 2508
Re: Discussion (Was: Blue Hopper Car Mania...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 11:29:18 GMT

Christopher Lannan wrote in message ...
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:
John DiRienzo wrote:

   Instead of spending our time figuring new dumb ways to tax people, I • have
an idea (1)... how about not taxing people?  I like it.  I like it a • lot.
   But your idea has lots of room for loopholes.  Like buying stuff on • the
net.  Like drugs - how does it help?  Drug money is spent on more drugs, • or
attorneys, or fines, anyway.  Does sales tax apply to services?  Then • there
are even more under the table services.  Taxing people... its such a • waste.

(1) - void where prohibited by law.

A nice idea, true, but one that is impractical, as of right now. I would • love
not to be taxed, but I don't think it is practical. Our current society • needs
pay for certain things (I.E., military, roads, etc.), but not in the way, • the
amount, or the scope, of government that we have today. I am all for
privatization of things, but in this current climate, I don't know if • anything
is going to change outside of a revolution, or some other drastic measure.

Scott S.

There has got to be a better way. A drastic measure is not such a bad idea.
Its too bad, I think, that our current system of govt/economy is so
established at this point, and protects itself so jealously, that really we
probably won't have any sort of MAJOR change until it all just fails • miserably-
which will be a long time and when it happens will be pretty bad. Its like • we
won't really do anything about polution and the environment until its as • bad
as people say its going to be. Also, we probably won't really do anything
about overpopulation until mother nature takes care of it for us. • Unfortunely,
she's not terribly gentle when she corrects overpopulation problems • herself.
Didn't mean to stray so much- this thread was really not about taxes • anyway,
but I couldn't help jumping in.

Yes, there are loopholes in the flat tax idea, but, I believe, FEWER • loopholes
than in the current system. Services could be taxed, I suppose. I'm not an
economist.

Chris

   Glad we agree to a point.  Perhaps there would be fewer loopholes, or
perhaps it would be just the same - that would be my guess.  Fixing it would
be good, while tinkering is just more wasted effort.  And talking about
tinkering is therefore useless, but we are doing it anyway...   I am too
idealistic to even be involved in this conversation.  Bye.
--
   Have fun!
   John