 Off-Topic / Debate / 2498
Re: Discussion (Was: Blue Hopper Car Mania...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 14:26:47 GMT

Christopher Lannan wrote in message ...
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:
Christopher Lannan wrote:

Not only the huge costs of dispensing the money in these programs, but I • have
heard that 50% of the money that the IRS collects is spent collecting • it.
That
seems like a terrible waste to me. Flat sales taxes anyone?

Chris

Sales tax, at least for the state (Michigan) is flat. How about a flat • income
tax, or a consumption tax even? Anything is better than the awful • monstrosity
of
the Federal tax system.

Scott S.

"I have worked harder than I ever have in my entire life, and I can't find • you a
tax cut." - Bill Clinton, 1993

Sure Bill, but you can spend billions on new "social programs", right? >:(

Scott E. Sanburn
CAD Operator, CAD Systems Administrator
Affiliated Engineers, Inc.

Work Page:
http://www.aeieng.com/

Home Page:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3372/index.html

Main LEGO Page:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3372/index.html

Soon to come: Star Wars LEGO Sets Parts Selling Page!
I guess that's what I mean- there would be no taxes except for about a 20%
sale tax on most things (I know there's going to be folks saying what about
this and that, milk, diapers, should folks on the dole pay? etc) I'm just
saying in general, there would be a significantly higher tax on sales and • no
other taxes. That way the money is collected much cheaper, and not as much
gets by- IE drug money gets taxed when spent, people who are paid "under • the
table" get taxed when they spend it. It just seems like a huge waste that • the
IRS collects something like 12-15 billion dollars a year and spends half of • it
just collecting it.

Chris

   Instead of spending our time figuring new dumb ways to tax people, I have
an idea (1)... how about not taxing people?  I like it.  I like it a lot.
   But your idea has lots of room for loopholes.  Like buying stuff on the
net.  Like drugs - how does it help?  Drug money is spent on more drugs, or
attorneys, or fines, anyway.  Does sales tax apply to services?  Then there
are even more under the table services.  Taxing people... its such a waste.

(1) - void where prohibited by law.

   Have fun!
   John
The Legos you've been dreaming of...