 Off-Topic / Debate / 24957
Re: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:44:24 GMT

   If the claim is made that our state charter is founded on ideals dating to the birth of humanity, then evidence must be given to support that claim, or else it is a doctrine of religious faith (and an attempt to unite the state and religion).

Can you prove that those ideals predate Judeism or the roots thereof? Show me some documented proof, not scientific theories. Even the great Stephen Hawking is recanting one of his most cherished theories today.

   Also, just because a religion claims to date to mankind’s birth, there is no reason to accept that this is so. Any faith can claim, even retroactively, to have invented value systems predating Adam or Eve or even the Judeo-Christian God. Such claims are articles of faith, and the state’s endorsement of that faith would likewise equate to the establishment of religion.

Just as the state’s fallback stance that none of them are true constitutes a de facto endorsement of atheism, which also equates to an establishment of religion. I wonder how court rulings would be affected if a formal Church of Atheism existed...

   Big chunks of Leviticus are still used to justify current cultural mores, so the burden is upon apologists of that text to document why certain bits are acceptable in the discourse of modern secular law, while certain other bits have been omitted. And if someone chooses to invoke the NT as a defense, then the invoker has rejected the Judeo- part of our “Judeo-Christian foundation.”

Christianity didn’t fully splinter off from Judeism until well after the NT, as evidenced by the fact that they called themselves Christian Jews throughout. Besides, non-Christian Jews were instrumental enough in the birth of this nation to qualify its Judeo-Christian origins regardless of whether you think Christianity can continue to claim the “Judeic” portion of the name.

   By “nothing is truly manifest” in this context, do you mean that “nothing is truly inherent”? If so, then I’m on record agreeing with that point. If not, could you clarify?

That sounds about right. I’m basically just saying that you can pick out any “universal” law, and still find at least one post-caveman culture that pointedly did not ascribe to that value, thereby showing that there really aren’t any truly universal laws. It’s not the individual laws that show the Judeo-Christian inheritence of the early US legal system, but the combined whole. Every rug is woven with thread of some sort, but it’s the pattern that best reveals the culture that inspired it.

   I can certainly argue that we’ve grown beyond the founding principles of the country, and I applaud this evolution, just as Jefferson did.

What, you don’t ascribe to Franklin’s belief that the populace should rise up in revolt every so often just to shake things up and prevent the government from growing too powerful for its own good?

   What, then, is the value in clinging to the foundation as if it were some kind of immutable bedrock without which our society will implode? Every time a legislator cites “the Judeo-Christian foundation” of our values, he should disclaim that we as a society have evolved beyond that foundation. Otherwise, he is making an appeal to a transcendent religious ideal and thereby advocating the establishment of a religion.

Whoa, when did I ever say that the truth of our government’s Judeo-Christian heritage is justification to impose any of the various modern incarnations upon the entire nation? I do feel that it’s unconstitutional to pass laws prohibiting such actions, but that doesn’t mean that I feel it’s automatically right to pass them. It depends on whether by doing so you are imposing your faith or your faith-derived values. The former is unconstitutional if passed as Law by Congress, but the latter is perfectly legal.

The bigger problem is that the various religions and Christian denominations have changed enough over the past 200+ years that people often try to argue the intent of the Founding Fathers based on their own religious beliefs, in spite of the fact that someone else might be holding forth the exact opposite belief with the very same reasoning. Even now you’re arguing that Christian values have no business influencing government because the US constitution prohibits it, but the various Christian groups that are doing so feel that they can because the US constitution allows it.

   Whoa! The “what is a set” question! That’s my favorite!

Ah, but the auto industry, much like the gun industry, imposes a numbering system that’s not inherent to the LEGO system. LEGO sets have no equivalent of the VIN. Gun components don’t count as “guns” unless they’re gun barrels (so defined by virtue of the fact that they’re the most useful part in determining the identity of the gun that shot John Doe).

   But what I’m getting at is that if the basic tenets of Judeo-Christian belief are themselves beholden to prior beliefs, then it is inaccurate to claim that values descended from Judeo-Christianity are founded on Judeo-Christianity.

No it’s not. The conglomeration of various beliefs was a unique blend that resulted in a unique government. Other religious backgrounds could have conceivably produced similar governing systems, but not the exact set of words that we know as the U.S. Constitution. You are the product of all of your experiences with other people combined, but your set of beliefs are unique to you, even though it can be argued that none of the individual beliefs are truly original to you. All religions including atheism ostensibly hail back to the first sentient thought experienced by early man, and since we’re unable to trace the roots of every religion back to that thought, it doesn’t really mean much to say that we can’t ascribe the origins of a particular government to a particular religious tradition on the basis that various values held by that religion predate that religion.

   It would be like claiming that the fourth floor of a building has its foundation on the third floor. It may be connected to the third floor, but its foundation is lower (earlier).

Ah, but when you decide to add a fifth floor, you build it on top of the fourth floor, not the basement, and your design choices will be limited by the layout of the fourth floor. Christianity and Islam are considerably different faiths, but they both sprouted from Judeism within recorded history. To claim that both the US and Iran are based on the same root Judaic faith is clearly absurd.

   How so? 18-century Enlightenment informed about as much of our founding policy as Judeo-Christian tradition. Why don’t we trumpet our current culture as “founded in the Enlightenment” instead?

For the same reason why we don’t trumpet our government’s ancient Greek heritage. It’s not the reason why we came here in the first place, and it’s not the justification cited for declaring independance. Noone cared enough to make a big stink about it then, and noone does today either, except those who are trying to argue that it’s somehow illegitimate to claim a Judeo-Christian heritage for the US government.

   I’m not sure what this question is asking, because few people in this forum have condemned the unchecked practice of religion as strongly as I have. I’m even willing to say that it would be illegal to outlaw the belief that witches should be hanged, but it is correct to outlaw the practice of witch-hanging.

See, and that’s the sticky point. If Religion A feels that it’s their fundamental duty to burn witches (after all, God told them to), by telling them that it’s illegal, the US government is technically prohibiting them from the free practice of their religion. But no court will ever rule that it’s unconstitutional for them to do so based on the freedom of religion provided by the 1st Amendment (ignoring, for the moment, the fact that laws concerning murder are relegated to the individual states). Just as with the three branches of the government, there are checks and balances built into the perceived absolute divide between government and religion. Religious values can influence our system of laws as long as they don’t involve enforcing a state-sponsored religion. Government can outlaw certain religious practices as long as by doing so they are preventing you from abusing other peoples’ rights with impunity.

   But my understanding is that the jurors are thought to have consulted the bible as a legal reference book separate from texts of secular law. To that end, it is entirely appropriate to exclude the extraneous sourcebook without even addressing the issue of religion in this context. I mean, if a juror had consulted Harry Potter for sentencing guidelines, would those guidelines have been accepted?

If the system of sentancing guidelines consisted of nothing more formally structured than imposing minimum and maximum limits on the sentance, flipping a coin is a legal method of determining what to vote for. If the only means given for determining whether to impose a strong or light sentance is defined in such vague terms as “morals”, “decency”, or “outrage”, it’s left entirely to the individuals to decide where that line is located and whether or not it has been crossed.