 Off-Topic / Debate / 24997
Re: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:26:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:
   If the claim is made that our state charter is founded on ideals dating to the birth of humanity, then evidence must be given to support that claim, or else it is a doctrine of religious faith (and an attempt to unite the state and religion).

Can you prove that those ideals predate Judeism or the roots thereof? Show me some documented proof, not scientific theories.

Before I attempt this documentation, can you give me an idea of what would qualify as acceptable to you? Honestly, a scientific theory that can be falsified is, as an explanatory device, superior to non-falsifiable statements of faith, so I don’t understand why you would reject that kind of documentation.

   Even the great Stephen Hawking is recanting one of his most cherished theories today.

Which is why science provides a better explanatory model of the universe than does religion, as I’ve been saying for years. Man’s understanding has grown, so the theory is revised. Is there a religious figure (of authority comparable to Hawking) now or in the recent past who similarly recanted? What was the impact upon religion?

   Also, just because a religion claims to date to mankind’s birth, there is no reason to accept that this is so. Any faith can claim, even retroactively, to have invented value systems predating Adam or Eve or even the Judeo-Christian God. Such claims are articles of faith, and the state’s endorsement of that faith would likewise equate to the establishment of religion.

Just as the state’s fallback stance that none of them are true constitutes a de facto endorsement of atheism, which also equates to an establishment of religion.

No no no. The state’s fallback stance is that the state has no authority to endorse any religion or non-religion; the state simply has no business entering into that debate, except in terms of protecting religious liberty.

   I wonder how court rulings would be affected if a formal Church of Atheism > existed...

I would be interested to know how such a church might be structured.

   Big chunks of Leviticus are still used to justify current cultural mores, so the burden is upon apologists of that text to document why certain bits are acceptable in the discourse of modern secular law, while certain other bits have been omitted. And if someone chooses to invoke the NT as a defense, then the invoker has rejected the Judeo- part of our “Judeo-Christian foundation.”

Christianity didn’t fully splinter off from Judeism until well after the NT, as evidenced by the fact that they called themselves Christian Jews throughout. Besides, non-Christian Jews were instrumental enough in the birth of this nation to qualify its Judeo-Christian origins regardless of whether you think Christianity can continue to claim the “Judeic” portion of the name.

I’ll accept that, but then someone has to tell me why it’s valid to claim that portions of the NT (which Jews recognize and an appendix to the bible) supersedes existing portions of the OT. How can our “Judeo-Christian” foundation accommodate these disparate worldviews?

   All religions including atheism

Nitpick. Atheism is not a religion, inasmuch as the lack of a tennis ball is not a tennis ball.

   Christianity and Islam are considerably different faiths, but they both sprouted from Judeism within recorded history. To claim that both the US and Iran are based on the same root Judaic faith is clearly absurd.

The “foundation” issue comes to a head when you try to draw lines claiming that “this” but “not that” is part of the foundation. I see no reason, other than political convenience, to draw these lines as they are generally drawn. Absurd? Perhaps, but it’s still true, and that’s the problem.

Dave!