 Off-Topic / Debate / 25037
Re: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:19:08 GMT

   Before I attempt this documentation, can you give me an idea of what would qualify as acceptable to you? Honestly, a scientific theory that can be falsified is, as an explanatory device, superior to non-falsifiable statements of faith, so I don’t understand why you would reject that kind of documentation.

Truthfully? I’m not sure you can, in much the same way that it’s currently impossible to disprove the existence of ET life in the universe. I’m just pointing out the hypocrisy of using unprovable statements to disprove other unprovable statements. If you can’t prove the temporal origin of both Judeism (by some means other than using information found in the Bible), and the relative precepts of Judeism, you can’t prove that said precepts predate Judeism. Therefore, you can’t say that those precepts predate Judeism as a way of disproving the idea that the US was founded upon a Judeo-Christian heritage, unless you can prove that they were universal to every and all historical cultures. Since I’ve already pointed out examples where protection from murder and theft were not considered to be inalienable human rights, I can’t see how you could do that either.

   Which is why science provides a better explanatory model of the universe than does religion, as I’ve been saying for years. Man’s understanding has grown, so the theory is revised.

Science can’t disprove religion anymore than religion can disprove science. Religion mostly learned that lesson with Galileo, but very little of Science has had that sufficiently beaten into their skulls. The big difference is that Religion has never been able to say how life works, and Science hasn’t yet been able to offer an explanation as to why life exists, nor has Science been able to create life from not-life. Besides, I follow the theory of creation-by-evolution (it’s kinda hard not to, with the recent discovery of the Darwin Birds), so that arguement doesn’t hold much weight with me.

   Is there a religious figure (of authority comparable to Hawking) now or in the recent past who similarly recanted? What was the impact upon religion?

Religion is fundamentally philosophical, and the varied nature of the world’s religions effectively rules out the possibility of a single person holding the same level of authority in terms of religion as Hawking does in terms of science.

   No no no. The state’s fallback stance is that the state has no authority to endorse any religion or non-religion; the state simply has no business entering into that debate, except in terms of protecting religious liberty.

Newdow managed to get the Pledge of Allegiance outlawed from schools in the 9th District. Public school faculty and staff are not allowed to freely practice their religion while on school grounds. By prohibiting non-atheist religions from free practice, the state is lending de facto support to atheism, and that’s no different than saying you aren’t required to have a picture of Jesus or a statue of Buddha in your office, you aren’t allowed to not have one.

   I’ll accept that, but then someone has to tell me why it’s valid to claim that portions of the NT (which Jews recognize and an appendix to the bible) supersedes existing portions of the OT.

Alright, here’s the biggest one of all. OT law says you must sacrifice sheep to cleanse your sins. NT law says God sent his son to take care of all that messy fuss for you. Pretty much all of the changes between OT and NT law rely on that one act for some level of justification.

   How can our “Judeo-Christian” foundation accommodate these disparate worldviews?

Because it’s based on the morals, but not the worship. It is therefore able to accomodate the inclusion of morals derived from other religions as well. I’m not saying that the ideals used as a basis for our government are exclusive to the Judeo-Christian heritage, but if you buy a LEGO set at Wal-Mart, to say that you actually got it from Toys”R”Us would be fundamentally untrue.

   Nitpick. Atheism is not a religion, inasmuch as the lack of a tennis ball is not a tennis ball.

The Romans felt the same way about the number “O” (the lack of a number is not a number), but modern mathematics has proven that to be untrue. Atheism is not an organized religion in the way that Humanism is, but it is a religion in the sense that you are willfully stating your belief that all other religions are untrue. Only if you neither believe in “god” (where “god” is whatever supernatural power that you may choose, as compared to Yhwh specifically) nor in “not-god” (the absolute nonexistence of any supernatural entity) can you legitimately claim true non-religious status. It’s the difference between negative apathy and true neutral apathy (pantheists would be the people with positive apathy, if you’re wondering).

   The “foundation” issue comes to a head when you try to draw lines claiming that “this” but “not that” is part of the foundation. I see no reason, other than political convenience, to draw these lines as they are generally drawn. Absurd? Perhaps, but it’s still true, and that’s the problem.

Christians see the life, actions, and revelations of Jesus as defining a new law for Judeism. Muslims see the life, actions, and revelations of Mohammed as defining a new law for Judeism. Even the biblical Hebrew people split on a fundamental religious level when Judea split off from Israel. The only thing I’m not sure of is how the modern Judeic faith has evolved so far from biblical times, to the point of even trading pharisees and sadducees for rabbi.