 Off-Topic / Debate / 24798
  Re: Question for the Conservatives out there

(...) That's a good question. The closest precedent I could think of is that if you weren't a natural born citizen, you could still be eligible by being a citizen of the US before the constitution was adopted, but I remember reading that that was (...) (20 years ago, 14-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Question for the Conservatives out there

(...) The US doesn't recognize dual citizenship. It's a bit of a scam because they do sort of look the other way, but it is possible for the US to retroactively negate your citizenship if they find that you have also claimed Canadian (or any) (...) (20 years ago, 14-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Question for the Conservatives out there

(...) Yowza! Is that correct? I know someone who has dual US and Irish citizenship, and she'd be surprised to learn this tidbit. Not that I'm refuting it; I just never heard it before. Dave! (20 years ago, 14-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Question for the Conservatives out there

(...) I'm not willing to do the research, though I'll shoot off an email to my friend, to support my understanding, but as I understand it, the official stance is something like "Well, if you're a citizen of that other nation, you must not be a (...) (20 years ago, 14-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Question for the Conservatives out there

(...) Don't go to any trouble--I didn't mean to give you an assignment. Honestly, I should just suggest to my friend that she check it out herself. After all, it's her dilemma. Thanks all the same. Dave! (20 years ago, 14-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Question for the Conservatives out there

(...) Some of my friends introduced me to a family that they met after moving to NYC, where the mother is Canadian, the father is from New Zealand, and the kids were both born in the US, thus affording both kids triple-citizenship...until they turn (...) (20 years ago, 14-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Question for the Conservatives out there

(...) OK, I was totally wrong. The US pretends that dual citizenship doesn't exist. It's neither expressly forbidden nor permitted. Some nations, like Germany expressly forbid it. Dual citizens primarily risk losing their citizenship by (...) (20 years ago, 19-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Question for the Conservatives out there

(...) It is forbidden, but not very strongly. It's basically under optional enforcement, so the US can revoke your citizenship whenever it's convenient as long as it can be proven that you've done something that warrants such action. Technically the (...) (20 years ago, 19-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)