 Off-Topic / Debate / 24792
Re: Question for the Conservatives out there
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:27:15 GMT

   I am with Lincoln on this matter (from the article):

Lincoln was in a very different situation than what we have now. There was a war being waged on US soil, but there probably wasn’t much concern about terrorist attacks specifically aimed at disrupting the elections. The people being “disenfranchised” in his situation were the ones who had effectively volunteered away their opportunity to vote (it would have been really interesting to see what would have happened if they’d submitted vote tallies even while continuing to wage war against the Union army).

   But the whole thing stinks because Democrats are going to howl regardless.

Unless no terrorist attacks are successfully carried out, and Bush does nothing that looks like an actual attempt to subvert the voting process. Or if he loses.

   If Bush postpones, Lefties will go beserk for reasons outlined by Dave! If he doesn’t postpone, outcries of “disenfranchisement!” will fill the streets and airwaves, especially if the attack is in a major, Democratic city in a “swing state” such as LA, Chicago, Cleveland, or Detroit.

And that could be exactly what terrorists might hope for if they are indeed planning an attack during the election. The surge of pro-war sentiment that would be pretty much guaranteed if that happens could clinch the vote for him regardless of whether it’s delayed or not. Right now it looks like a dead heat.

   Either way it is a propaganda lose for Bush, but probably an election victory for him if an attack occurs. Then, for the next 4 years we will be hearing about how our president was selected this time by terrorists instead of judges.

Great, so the terrorists will finally win this by getting us to exasperate ourselves to death? Ugh.