 Off-Topic / Debate / 24787
Re: Question for the Conservatives out there
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:47:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:

I particularly like the phrase “secure the election” in a quote from Homeland Security.

I am with Lincoln on this matter (from the article):

==

Abraham Lincoln was urged by some aides to suspend the election of 1864 - during the US Civil War - but despite the expectation that he would lose, he refused.

“The election is a necessity,” Lincoln said. “We cannot have a free government without elections; and if the rebellion could force us to forgo, or postpone, a national election, it might fairly claim to have already conquered us.”

==

But the whole thing stinks because Democrats are going to howl regardless. If Bush postpones, Lefties will go beserk for reasons outlined by Dave! If he doesn’t postpone, outcries of “disenfranchisement!” will fill the streets and airwaves, especially if the attack is in a major, Democratic city in a “swing state” such as LA, Chicago, Cleveland, or Detroit.

Either way it is a propaganda lose for Bush, but probably an election victory for him if an attack occurs. Then, for the next 4 years we will be hearing about how our president was selected this time by terrorists instead of judges.

JOHN