 Off-Topic / Debate / 24776
Re: Question for the Conservatives out there
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:03:21 GMT

Here's a hypothetical:

Let's suppose a major event occurs between now and November 2, something on the
order of 9/11.  Now let's suppose that Dubya's administration either postpones
or cancels the Presidential election in the wake of the disaster, citing the
need for consistent leadership and contiuity of policy, both of which would be
compromised by a change of President.

How would you Conservatives react to this?  Would you be relieved, since it
would mean an automatic extension of Dubya's reign (and near carte blanche to do
whatever he wants with the Executive and Judicial branches)?  Or would you cry
foul, since it would amount to a declaration of dictatorship?

This is hypothetical, of course, but it's hardly impossible.  Tommy Franks has
stated on-record that a WMD terrorist attack might justify the abandonment of
the Constitution in favor of military rule.

What do you think?

Well, Dave, I don't think it's all that hypothetical anymore.  What is
particularly interesting to me is the fact that plans are being discussed for
postponement, but they're allegedly only a "worst case scenario."

I guess we'll see...

Dave!