 Off-Topic / Debate / 24780
Re: Question for the Conservatives out there
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:24:03 GMT

Here's a hypothetical:

Let's suppose a major event occurs between now and November 2, something on the
order of 9/11.  Now let's suppose that Dubya's administration either postpones
or cancels the Presidential election in the wake of the disaster, citing the
need for consistent leadership and contiuity of policy, both of which would be
compromised by a change of President.

How would you Conservatives react to this?  Would you be relieved, since it
would mean an automatic extension of Dubya's reign (and near carte blanche to do
whatever he wants with the Executive and Judicial branches)?  Or would you cry
foul, since it would amount to a declaration of dictatorship?

This is hypothetical, of course, but it's hardly impossible.  Tommy Franks has
stated on-record that a WMD terrorist attack might justify the abandonment of
the Constitution in favor of military rule.

What do you think?

Well, Dave, I don't think it's all that hypothetical anymore.  What is
particularly interesting to me is the fact that plans are being discussed for
postponement, but they're allegedly only a "worst case scenario."

I guess we'll see...

Dave!

As if this isn't a set-up...

Some 'leaked' info about 'maybe postphoning' the election in the event of some
sort of threat/attack.

So soften up the ground before Nov., then "Oh, we raised the threat to red, we
have to postphone the election."

Constitution?  Nice to have known ya.  Like almost every country throughout
history, after complecency sets in, the empire crumbles from within, foregoing
founding ideals for the sake of whatever happens to be convenient of the
day--today those ideals are lost under the guise of 'safety and security'
(neither of which Dubya has influenced for the better during his tenure as
pres.)

Eh, I said 'have fun storming the castle' when the administration was poised on
invading Iraq.  Unless something extra-ordinary happens, like nothing at all,
between now and Nov 4, to the American people I say, have fun storming the
castle when Dubya postphones the election.  He's already working on it--he's got
these leaks talking about postphonement, he's got folks desperately searching
for some 'high level' terrorist (where's he been on this for the previous 3
years?)--he's kicking over the ant-hill--and he's playing the old redirection
card--"Look over there!  Gay Marriage!!" so y'all'll be shocked!  Shocked I say!
when some sort of terrorist activity happens.

Lull you into complacency then Bam!  The saviour Dubya can only stand against
those who recently attacked us, and shushing all the intelligence failures, the
misdirections, and the basic incompotence that let the terrorist attack happen
in the first place.

When it happens (and I really believe that something will happen), Dubya won't
be able to blame Bubba or the previous administration, or the CIA, or France,
Germany, or anyone else.  Nosirree, the buck will finally have to stop at
Dubya--he has no one else left to blame.

Dave K