 Off-Topic / Debate / 24686
Re: We'll take in your poor, your homeless, your oppressed...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 19:45:16 GMT

These are MLF answers mind you, not my personal view which is a bit muddier

The Macho Libertarian Flash(tm) answer is that there is NO justification, short
of actually being invaded by another sovereignty and needing to repel the
attack, that justifies attack on another sovereign country.

Nor is there any justification for preventing citizens from *volunteering* to
fight on their own recognizance (with the proviso that they're on their own and
no rescue will be forthcoming if they get captured) for or against a foreign
power, or raising funds for causes they believe in.

In that ideal answer there is no problem such as you pose, the answer is always
no, you're not justified.

The problem is, while it's a goal to be strived for, it's not a practical answer
in all cases.

Well, let's talk about this, then, and keep it entirely in the realm of
hypothetical.

I suspect you're not going to do that but OK, I'll play along.

Country A is oppressive.

Check.

A majority of citizens of Country A decide to have a 'revolt' to shake off the
tyrannical oppressive gov't.

Check.

Can the citizens get aid from other countries?

Not legitimately directly from other countries. Only from privateers who choose
to aid them of their own free will.

Can they call on Country B to
assist them in the overthrow?

They can call all they want but Country B can't legitimately actually aid them.
Only its citizens, acting independently, can.

Therefore... (wait for it)

in the MLF view of the world, the American Revolution would have failed because
France was illegitimately interfering!

See... I SAID it wasn't a completely practical viewpoint.

Er, did I take your counterargument away by beating you to it? Sorry bout that!