 Off-Topic / Debate / 24682
Re: We'll take in your poor, your homeless, your oppressed...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 19:31:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

I do believe, what Bruce actually asked me was if I supported
Hitler killing the Jews...

But that was just an extreme example of what I said.  It was a starting point
for distinguishing what you really think about the role of sovereignty in our
war-decisions.

Do you think that a nation can act to cause harm to its own population without
ever threatening the sovereignty of the neighbors to such a degree that invasion
of that country -- violation of their sovereignty, is justified?

We can imagine a case in which traditional human rights abuses aren't even a
factor.  What if it turns out that rain-forest depletion becomes a risk for
making the planet uninhabitable?  Are we justified in invading Brazil (or
Malaysia, or whatever) to protect the Earth?

The essence of this is the question: What's so important about sovereignty?

The Macho Libertarian Flash(tm) answer is that there is NO justification, short
of actually being invaded by another sovereignty and needing to repel the
attack, that justifies attack on another sovereign country.

Nor is there any justification for preventing citizens from *volunteering* to
fight on their own recognizance (with the proviso that they're on their own and
no rescue will be forthcoming if they get captured) for or against a foreign
power, or raising funds for causes they believe in.

In that ideal answer there is no problem such as you pose, the answer is always
no, you're not justified.

The problem is, while it's a goal to be strived for, it's not a practical answer
in all cases.

Well, let's talk about this, then, and keep it entirely in the realm of
hypothetical.

Country A is oppressive.

A majority of citizens of Country A decide to have a 'revolt' to shake off the
tyrannical oppressive gov't.

Can the citizens get aid from other countries?  Can they call on Country B to
assist them in the overthrow?

Dave K