 Off-Topic / Debate / 24628
Re: We'll take in your poor, your homeless, your oppressed...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 10:42:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
But overthrowing Saddam in itself is not "unjust".

Would you mind providing why you think this?

That he is a genocidal tyrant that has additionally invaded two of his neighbors
soley to steal their resources springs to mind.

Much of which he did with US support.

Or are you saying that Saddam's
actions are "just"?

Seriously, was he any worse in 2003 than some of the human rights abusers Bush
supports today? I’m talking about countries like Saudi Arabia, Israel,
Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan.

Scott A

I think we'd all agree that war, all things being equal, tends to be unjust.

Unjust things happen during any war - however, from a given perspective, not all
that wage war are unjust in doing so.

And please note that we are only speaking hypothetically - I would have been
quite happy to see the U.N. go in and stomp Saddam, while at the same time I
think Bush is an idiot for doing the same thing unilaterally.

Furthermore, Saddam was the recognized (by us) legitimate ruler of a sovereign
nation.  He did thumb his nose at UN resolutions, but none of those resolutions
questioned his legitimacy or the sovereignity of Iraq.

None of this really has anything to do with just and unjust.

Are you're saying that Saddam was a jerk and therefore waging war to overthrow
him was just?

I merely disputed the assumption that David made that the war was "unjust".
I'll also dispute "illegal".  I won't dispute "stupid", "unsanctioned",
"trumped-up", and any number of terms uncomplimentary to Dubya.

Then why don't be just go around the globe overthrowing random
other jerks?

Because it would be just as big a waste as this attempt is?  Mind you, in theory
it isn't such a bad idea.  In practice, I'm sure it would be a fiasco.

-->Bruce<--

And I suppose I should mention in passing that I hope Canada grants asylum to
the deserters