 Off-Topic / Debate / 24631
Re: We'll take in your poor, your homeless, your oppressed...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 16:20:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
But overthrowing Saddam in itself is not "unjust".

Would you mind providing why you think this?

That he is a genocidal tyrant that has additionally invaded two of his neighbors
soley to steal their resources springs to mind.

Much of which he did with US support.

If you'll modify that to "some" rather than "much", I'll agree (mostly support
to him being a thorn in the side of Ayatollah wackos in Iran, but then, there's
a certain sense of deja vu in the U.S. screwing around with things there, too).

Or are you saying that Saddam's
actions are "just"?

Seriously, was he any worse in 2003 than some of the human rights abusers Bush
supports today? I’m talking about countries like Saudi Arabia, Israel,
Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan.

Are you saying that if Saudi Arabia, Israel, Azerbaijan, and Uzbekistan throw
people off a cliff that makes it okay for Saddam to do so, too?  I take it,
though, that your answer is that you don't view Saddam's actions as "just".

-->Bruce<--