 Off-Topic / Debate / 24571
Re: Fair use and allusion?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 02:48:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

   You are either not listening or being deliberately obtuse. We did not start a war with the people of Iraq; we simply deposed their oppressive government whom we perceived as a potential threat. We are fighting for Iraq, not against Iraq. Isn’t this obvious?

No. And the “no” answer should be obvious because clearly a great deal of the world clearly thinks it isn’t obvious.

“A great deal”?, or mostly France and Germany (who had national interests in seeing SH remain in power-- at the expense of the Iraqi people).

   We are fighting for what Bush’s crowd thinks is “our” (U.S.) interests, or would like us to believe is our (no quotes) interests.

I think everyone would agree that the free flow of oil is in the best interests of our country and Iraq. Win-win.

   Terrorists’ nationalities are by and large a moot point. OBL was a Saudi-- should we attack SA? Of course not. He’s actually an enemy of SA as well.

The links of OBL to Saudi Arabia are much stronger then any (virtually none) links to Iraq. which is the point I think he was trying to make.

That may be, but my point is that OBL could be an American for all I care-- the point is mute;-)

   No, what you can’t do is to defend the UN and ignore the stated ramifications of violating Res 1441. The UN is impotent and useless.

Either you need to completely ignore Res. 1441 in justifying Bush’s Iraqi War Redux, or you need to condemn Bush for not complying with the U.N.

I condemn the UN for not complying with the U.N.‘s own resolution! Empty threats are meaningless and a joke.

   If it’s a U.N. sanction, then the U.N. needs to enforce it. End of story

Don’t even get me started on corrupt U.N. sanctions.....

   (and it should be pointed out since Bush can’t substantiate his claims, it would appear that the U.N. was correct).

How? The weapons were never accounted for.

   Fine. As I stated before, it is irrelevant.

If the money that feeds them is flowing through Saudi Arabia, then it most certainly is not irrelevant.

If the money flows through the Saudi government. But I do acknowledge some grayness here when a government is the family business;-)

   And you can’t bring up SH being a tyrannical dictator for your justification either.

Of course I can.

And I agree with that, but Bush only really mentions it in relation to our own security, and where Iraq is going scares me more than Saddam ever did. Should have let sleeping dogs lie.

Time will tell.

   Africa over the years had much such tyrannies where ‘tinpot dictators’ slaughters masses of people and yet you sat on your hands (in a US administration sense). Why Iraq?

OIL, DAVE. OIL! Isn’t it obvious???

Ummmm, you do realize that you just shot holes in your own claims that this was about freeing Iraq?

Not at all. I’m only being honest. We generally do only act in situations where our national interests are at stake. The genocide in Sudan is less pressing to us than a whacko using oil profits to create WMDs and threaten our national security.

   Why now?

As opposed to after some calamity?

Are you refering to the trumped-up calamity Bush was claiming would happen,

Truth is, we may never know what was avoided. A democracy in Iraq could have serious consequences to Islamic terrorism in the Middle East. This problem is a lot bigger than SH.

   or the one that he has caused through his own idiocy and incompetence? If the former: it didn’t exist,

As far as we know, and there is evidence that stuff was brewing (via Russian intelligence, for one)

   and the latter is an argument against, “Why now?”

   There’s no legitimate explanation. There really isn’t.

Because you refuse to look past your blinkers.

I can’t think of any rejoinder that is more ironic than just reading what you wrote. :-)

3-)

   You want everything your way--you want the idea that you dislike the UN and the US should get out of it but you’ll use their resolutions to invade, even though the UN didn’t want you to. You want to blame SH for 9/11

NO! You aren’t paying attention!!!!

I can’t see how you say that - he pegged you exactly.

No. I do not want to blame SH for 9-11! Never did, never will! The taking out of SH was making good on an ultimatum to world leaders who aid and abett and finance terrorists. SH was #1 on the list.

   NO! He was mandated to verify that SH had destroyed WMDs he was KNOWN to have possessed. You aren’t paying attention!

You aren’t paying attention to the fact that Bush provides no evidence that they still existed.

They existed once. That is enough proof on Bush’s part. The proof that was needed was that they had been destroyed (to be provided by SH)

   Not to mention that you are still using a U.N. sanction to justify actions that the U.N. itself does not sanction.

Really? (from Res 1441: “13. Recalls, in that context, that the Council has repeatedly warned Iraq that it will face serious consequences as a result of its continued violations of its obligations;”)

They wouldn’t follow up on their own resolutions! Impotent, useless.

   We were worried about him providing WMDs to terrorists, not any attack from him.

No. That was not the stated reason for the war. Attack by Saddam was exactly what was cited. That’s how Bush sold the war.

I can honestly say that that was never my understanding of the motives of why we went to war. Can you cite that?

   And my personal favourite--You want to bring peace and freedom to Iraq even if it kills ‘em. Peace and freedom has to come within a country.

And it will-- hopefully. We just gave the Iraqis a little gift of cutting off the head of their oppressive government. The rest will be up to them.

And when they elect an opressive government that aids terrorists, what is Bush gonna do about the new monster he created?

Sounds like a crazy hypothetical, since terrorists themselves are trying to prevent a democracy from being formed in Iraq in the first place. Let’s give the Iraqi people a little credit here and see what develops. I believe you will be greatly surprised.

   No, it’s when the opposition gets so rude and disrespectful. Leahy is an ass-- take that to the bank.

Bush and Cheney are bigger ones - take that to the Stock Market and invest it as Blue Chip stock with unlimited growth potential and no downside (beyond not paying attention to it).

Well, Leahy AND the senior whale from Massachusetts are the biggest ones-- you can take that option for a future contract and realize huge profits without the liability of the full contract price (but with a higher premium:-)

   I hope the pressure keeps on until these guys come out with the truth--that Dubya wanted to finish ‘daddys little war’

What on earth are you blathering about? And for the record, Bush senior would have finished off SH then and there were it not for the UN.

Actually, that would be the fault of many of his allies, who wanted Kuwait freed, but did not trust Dubya’s Daddy not to establish A New Imperialism in a region that had been thoroughly messed up by previous imperialism and was distrustful of the West because of that imperialism. Bush the Elder had a mandate to free Kuwait, and nothing more. He wisely stuck to it because that aided future trust and cooperation. Bush the Younger only looked at the goal and not the consequences. In any case, you are blaming the U.N. for (primarily, but not solely) Saudi Arabia’s willingness to cooperate based on limitations to the action.

Bottom line: we should have removed the scumbag when we had the legitimate opportunity, just like Clinton would have taken out OBL when he had the chance as well.

JOHN