 Off-Topic / Debate / 2447
Re: God and the Devil and forgiveness (was Re: POV-RAY orange color)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 00:21:20 GMT

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 11:54:07 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman)
wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net> writes:

*This* is classic "circle logic" If God do anything, can God create a stone
he cannot lift?

Exactly: it's a proof by contradiction, proving that there's nothing that
can do anything.  I guess it challenges the definition of what "anything"
means.

Can god create a two-sided triangle?

Arguing about definitionally impossible things is useless, IMHO.

My take: Should an _omnipotent_ god (there is always the possibility
of non-omnipotence, after all) exist, he would be able to make a stone
he could not lift. And then if he wanted to, he could lift it anyway.

That's the paradox inherent in the very concept of "omnipotent". We
think that's impossible. It is impossible in this universe, as far as
we know. But what we klnow changes with each century - Newton thought
something could keep accelerating forever, and gain velocity forever.
Einstein says nothing can ever accelerate past the speed of light,
from the viewpoint of a stationary observer. Who knows what a 22nd
century scientist might dream up? Will they make special cases to add
to relativity, will they overthrow the concept altogether and replace
it with something else which explains the universe as we know it even
better? Who can tell? Why amn I rambling?

But certainly, pure logic is either more perfect or equal
than perfect to God.  God cannot be more more perfect than pure logic.

Got evidence?

Jasper