 Off-Topic / Debate / 2448
Re: God and the Devil and forgiveness (was Re: POV-RAY orange color)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 00:29:14 GMT

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 20:58:40 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

Kidding aside, what chaos theory says is that most real systems are
complex enough and have enough free variables in them that it is harder
to model them than we once thought, and in a lot of systems very small
perturbations in initial input produce large perturbations in the final
system state.

It does NOT say that things can't be predicted, or that things happen
completely randomly. Even at the quantum level when we speak of
probability instead of certainty, there are still laws in operation and
useful predictions that can be made.

In a truly chaotic system, where each quantum interaction produces
measurable macro effects, no _useful_ predictions can be made. Unless
you consider "Ther is on billionth of a percent chance that after a
microsecond the state will be this, and another on billionth of a
percent[...]" a useful prediction.

Choas theory, in combination with quantum effects, produces, in
essence, a physical and final time limit on useful predictions.

You will never be able to make a useful prediction about the weather a
decade from the point at which the prediction is made[1].

Jasper

[1] "from now" has obvious problems, I noticed when rereading..