 Off-Topic / Debate / 24307
Re: More waste
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:06:11 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Parsons wrote:

   There’s also the small issue that it costs a lot of money to do that. Who is going to pay for it?

Oh I don’t know.

(snipped the rest away)

Precisely. I think you mean the taxpayer, in other words.

Bollocks.

If you found A$300M that’s not needed, how about this for an idea... give it BACK to the taxpayers you taxed in the first place instead of spending it on another boondoggle.

A very fine idea (the reducing the overall tax burden part), if there’s no sufficiently constructive use to which to put the money. A very popular call too - don’t waste my money on other people or the future, give it back to me.

Obviously we have different ideas of what constitutes worthwhile ways to build a society (and there’s no big surprise in that).

We hear from time to time that we (Australians) are among the highest taxed folks in the western world (which I seriously doubt, without feeling the need to find out either way). Even if this is true, it still doesn’t change my enthusiasm for supporting the system that delivers me the country I love so, despite its failing here and there. And education is way up there with health and welfare among things it seems worthwhile for my government to support with my money more than it does.

In thinking on the populist call to cut back on social/educational/arts programmes (that help other people and build the future) to I am reminded of Yeats’ scribble To a wealthy Man.... Its not an argument exactly, but its cute.

Not to say that every programme is a good one, and that there is not waste. Of course there are useless programmes and wasted dough. And despite your coy snippage, there are ways to make the price of this consderably less burdensome for your helplessly oppressed taxpayers. But I’d happily kick in my $50 odd a year to pay for it.

Mind you, if I had your government, I’d probably be asking for my money back too ;-)

Richard
Still baldly going...

Interesting word boondoggle - trying to imagine Larry as a boy scout is making my brain hurt.