 Off-Topic / Debate / 24305
Re: The Real Waste Re: More waste (was Re: More Orwell, for everyone!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:18:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
   One has to Get the Balance Right: today’s Undergrad’s are tomorrow’s tax payers. The better the education they get today, the more they can earn (and contribute back) in the future. Why not base education on ability to learn not ability to pay?

Because that doesn’t account for the desire to learn. If you truly want to learn, you’ll find a way to pay. Your way rewards intelligent lazy people (you?). I’d say there’s a balance somewhere, but you haven’t got it right either.

And since you’re quoting old pop tunes, consider these. I’d have thought this one was your motto. “You can’t change the world, but you can change the facts...”

But perhaps you should listen once more to the message in this one.

Enjoy,

Don