 Off-Topic / Debate / 2419
Re: Where are you guys?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 17:23:22 GMT

In lugnet.adventurers, Mark Lindsey writes:
[snip] So in the meantime please speak up and let us hear from
you.  I am afraid that this posting group may have to be renamed the Mark-and-
Bruce-with-occassional-postings-from-others-Group unless we have more
participation.  I don't want to offend the Steve Blisses, Joseph G's, Craig
H's, etc because you guys post up here often and also on alot of other LUGNET
groups, but the rest of you guys out there reading but not writing COME ON!
Help us out here.  We need your ideas, input, pictures of creations and
general banter and repartee in order to make this the most lively and
entertaining posting group on lugnet.

Well, I'm not intending to offend, but I have been a little concerned lately
with the adventures group... I posted a bit in the beginning because I do love
the Adventures theme (especially the Egyptian stuff!) but lately I've just been
ignoring the entire group because most of the things I've been seeing aren't
really pertaining to Adventures (like http://www.lugnet.com/general/?n=8931) or
aren't pertaining to LEGO at all (like the whole Adventure movie discussion)...
it's also kind of going against the Terms Of Use... at least in so far as it's
gone beyond the point of just a few random non-lego/non-adventures posts...
Your motivation shouldn't be to "win" in the number of posts you can make--
that tends to generate a bunch of useless fluff, I think...

If you're trying to get a larger audience, non-lego and non-adventures topics
really aren't the way to go-- try and get some good Adventures Lego
conversations going. Maybe an Adventures "DAT-ville" like Space and Castle
were/are thinking of doing might spark some more interest. Or perhaps you might
want to sponsor an Adventures contest of some sort, like the Star Wars
Contest... Maybe you've tried these too and I haven't caught them, but
hopefully there are Lego-Adventures-theme related topics that you can think of
to generate interest...

Don't let Starwars continue to
dominate.  Last week we had very close to the same amout of posts they did.
And certainly we can beat out the castle and space groups.  No offense to
anyone supporting those posts (in fact I sometimes post there), but we need to
let the eyes of LEGO big brother see that this theme has a lot of real
interest and viability for the future.

As for beating out Star Wars.. :) that'll be tough... it'll take quite a few
months probably, if you continue with the activity you've been having lately...

Otherwise, if you're trying to get the "LEGO big brother" to notice you,
perhaps that's not the way to go... if it IS just you and Bruce posting to the
Adventures group, I think that's potentially misleading... You may be implying
more interest than there really is. And personally, (no offense) I think Star
Wars is a better way to go for TLG than Adventures at the moment-- I think
there really IS a lot more interest in SW than Adventures. Will it last? Who
knows... Star Wars Lego has just come out, it's brought a lot of people out of
their dark ages, and it's coming out with new sets that have been long
awaited... there's bound to be a large amount of activity now. If you want to
'beat' the Star Wars group, you'll have to establish a real following, and keep
steady posts going... After all, Castle has gone on pretty strong and the theme
has just about been taken off the market (excuse me for not calling Ninja a
castle theme, but hey...). Pirates is doing pretty well also, and it's already
been completely removed for several years!

I think your best bet is to try and really generate interest in Adventures
Lego... Build some major Egyptian temples and Mayan ruins. Inspire people to
build something better! I think that's really where the potential is for
Adventures... not in discussing favorite adventures movies etc...

Anyway, I don't mean to offend, just some thoughts...

DaveE