 Off-Topic / Debate / 2387
Re: Blue Hopper Car Mania...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 17:08:19 GMT

Scott Edward Sanburn wrote:

<snippage of some pointless flames [come on, guys]>

Well, I think it does. Left wingers are always whining that things are not fair,
etc. across the board, in many countries, including the US and the UK. If you
don't like it, don't respond then.

This is just a random post to something Scott said, but it made me think of why I
was a Liberal and why I'm not completely Libertarian.  It has to do with stuff.

I don't see how someone with a lot of stuff (read $$$) can live with themselves
while there are people (with legitimate reasons) who don't have any.  I *do* think
there is something sketchy about a bazillionaire with stuff all over the world.  I
think it's intensely selfish.  And selfish people, I usually find, are sucky
people.

Now, I can't *make* those people have a conscience, so that they might disperse
their fortunes to the disadvantaged.  So what to do?  Force them through taxes,
etc?  As a Liberal, my feeling was yes.  If someone was so rich and there were so
many so needy, why not?  The needs of the many outweighed the protests of the few
(rich).  There just seems something so sick and wrong about rich people complaining
about how overtaxed they are!  "Hey jerk-off, be thankful you've *got* millions to
pay in taxes!" is what I want to say sometimes, and even to myself as well.

Now, as a budding Libertarian, I think that no one should be able to tell others
(by force) how to run their lives.  Libertarianism works really well with
respectful, moral, and conscienceable people.  They know it's not about the stuff,
but about people.  Unfortunately, Libertarianism is defined by stuff rights, so the
focus is (almost) always on the stuff.

I'm not sure what I mean to say here, but I have a feeling from where Simon is
coming and also where Scott, Lar and the others are as well.  (Hang on, random turn
ahead) I'm curious as to what a Libertarian thinks about the concept of the Israeli
Moshav.  Basically, a community that produces one good to sell, and then splits the
profits among the families.

-John