 Off-Topic / Debate / 2386
Re: web surveys
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 16:32:18 GMT

Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
Jeremy (jsproat@io.com) wrote:
Perl also does well if you do need to use the program again
later.  Why would it be otherwise?
I have probably only seen programs by bad Perl programmers
then.

This is entirely possible.

Perl code is a bit difficult to read, and it seems that at
least some programmers manage quite well to write code they
can't understand a few months later. I also see a bit of
this with C programs, but not nearly as often as with Perl.

I've actually seen more badly-written code in C and Java.  (1)  Programmers
who: a. can't write code for other people, and; b. use comments and good
readability; shouldn't write code for other people.  Just like people who are
pathetically unskilled with HTML (2) shouldn't post stuff on the Web.  It
still happens.

On the flip side of the coin, I find Ada code to be particularly difficult to
read.  But then, I haven't written a ton of apps using it.

I suppose the reason Perl has such a bad rep for hard-to-read code is because
of TMTOWTDI -- There's More Than One Way To Do It.  But I find that this more
than makes up for the sheer power and portability of the language.

It only hurts the seller.
How does it hurt them to charge where there is money, and
not charge where there is (was) no money?

The assumption that there is money burning a hole in my pocket is a bad one.
It's an issue of availability, really.  I know far more starving college
students who use Win32 than I do who use Linux.

I can't remember the licensing details for MySQL, but isn't
the current version completely closed and not quite cheap.

This is true.  But I was leering at the GPL'd version *because* it is so
cheap!  ;-)

If it wasn't too complicated, then I would charge people
based on what they could afford (too?). When I do commercial
software development (it happens now and then) what the
costumer can afford and will gain is taken into account when
I decide the price.

I wouldn't mind paying a royalty-based fee for use of anyone's software.  If I
never make a penny using it, I don't have to pay for it.  If it makes me a
millionare, then sure, I'll pay a percentage of that.

[f-ups set to .debate]
[MySQL Licensing cc'd]
I look forward to their comments.

I posted a couple'a snippets in:

http://www.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=2384

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  A paradox:  The best-written code is invariably in assembler!  8-O

2.  Like me!  :-,

Jeremy: "Hi, My name is Jeremy Sproat, and I'm a...Slashdot Lemming."
All:    "Hi, Jeremy."