 Off-Topic / Debate / 2363
Re: web surveys
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 22:22:33 GMT

Jeremy (jsproat@io.com) wrote:

Perl also does well if you do need to use the program again
later.  Why would it be otherwise?

I have probably only seen programs by bad Perl programmers
then.

Perl code is a bit difficult to read, and it seems that at
least some programmers manage quite well to write code they
can't understand a few months later. I also see a bit of
this with C programs, but not nearly as often as with Perl.

1.  Like me -- !@#$% MySQL is free on Linux but costs $$$ for Win32...
Makes it easy to choose your OS, doesn't it?

Someone selling a program for one platform but giving it away for free for
another platform is, in my opinion, rabid advocacy.

You could say so.

It only hurts the seller.

How does it hurt them to charge where there is money, and
not charge where there is (was) no money?

They're trying to punish me for using a "bad" OS.

I don't think you should interpret it that way. I think it
at least originally was free because Linux people didn't
have any money anyway. So they increase the user base
without loosing any potential profits.

What happens in practice,
however, is that I deny them the sale by using someone else's software.

That is what any commercial software developer risks, if the
price isn't right compared to the feature set (or marketing
budget).

I don't understand why they offer a GPL for all platforms
but one.

GPL does not limit which platform you can run a product on - it
specifically forbids it (as far as I can remember).

I can't remember the licensing details for MySQL, but isn't
the current version completely closed and not quite cheap.

Are they trying to subsidise the cost of their Win32 compiler?
Do they feel that they -- as an application developer -- can
knock me off the OS I choose?  It seems so...spiteful.

I think they have noticed that you are willing to spend
money on software - so they let you do it.

If it wasn't too complicated, then I would charge people
based on what they could afford (too?). When I do commercial
software development (it happens now and then) what the
costumer can afford and will gain is taken into account when
I decide the price.

[f-ups set to .debate]
[MySQL Licensing cc'd]

I look forward to their comments.