 Off-Topic / Debate / 2362
Re: web surveys
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 22:02:45 GMT

Sproaticus <jsproat@io.com> wrote:
I don't understand why they offer a GPL for all platforms but one.  Are they
trying to subsidise the cost of their Win32 compiler?  Do they feel that they
-- as an application developer -- can knock me off the OS I choose?  It seems
so...spiteful.

Alternately, it might be that they're chosing to make it for sale for the
platform with the most mass-market potential, and for techie niche
platforms, give it away, which won't hurt their bottom line much, but will
increase their geek cred. This is what Corel is doing, and it seems to be
working for them.

(Note that I'm not saying that Linux, etc., are going to remain niche
platforms forever. Just that they're mostly that way today.)

[f-ups set to .debate]

I don't read debate, so unless you post back to .offtopic.geek, I'll
probably ignore you. How terribly rude of me, I know. :)