 Off-Topic / Debate / 2385
Re: web surveys
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 16:14:34 GMT

"Roger D. Parks, Sc. D." wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jeremy Sproat writes:
I don't understand why they offer a GPL for all platforms but one.  Are they
trying to subsidise the cost of their Win32 compiler?  Do they feel that they
-- as an application developer -- can knock me off the OS I choose?  It seems
so...spiteful.
<blink>  I'll note here that, given the above, I'm not sure why you feel that
the M$ flavour should be GPL'd when the platformn it is to run on/against most
certainly is not.

I understand your point to be that the GPL is invalid because my OS isn't
free...?

Simply because the OS isn't free (1) doesn't mean that the GPL forbids using
GNU code on it...  "The act of running the Program is not restricted...only if
its contents constitute a work based on the Program..."  (2)  IMO, this means
that I can run the GPL'd program however I want, as long as any modifications
to the program are also GPL'd.  If I don't change the source code, I can run
the program in an unrestricted fashion.

Also consider that the GPL was written with "the two goals of preserving the
free status of all derivatives of our free software and of promoting the
sharing and reuse of software generally."  (ibid)

A good example of using GNU code on a non-free platform is the wide range of
GNU apps written for the X Windows system.  I take this as open endorsement to
build GPL'd apps for Win32.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  While Win32 isn't free as in free speech, it is most certainly is free as
in free salsa.

2.  http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

Jeremy: "Hi, My name is Jeremy Sproat, and I'm a...Slashdot Lemming."
All:    "Hi, Jeremy."