 Off-Topic / Debate / 2357
Re: Has the world gone mad?!?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 22:13:17 GMT

I saw the same thing at a Genesee County Fair on the outskirts of Flint,
Michigan. I don't know who sponsored it, but there were a few creations that
were just the sets. Man, I guess I could have one first place too! :)

Scott S.

Allan J Smith wrote:

What irked me so much was that some of the
Our community fair has an actual Lego-specific competion among the other
arts & Crafts type competitions.  The rules specifically state that it must
be an ORIGINAL creation.  The problem is that the "Judges" have no knowledge
of Lego, or what the sets actually look like.  This was probably the case
where you are, they probably didn't realize that it was a store-bought set.

Ours worked out well, with no store bought sets even being entered.  But
then the organizers atleast had the brains to ask someone before the judging
if anything there looked like an existing set! (They asked ME!)

Same thing happened to me at the Taupo Hobby Expo. In 1998 I noticed a few
creations that were not original and had won prizes. For example the Divers
set with the whale skeleton on a large grey baseplate instead of the original
base. So I volunteered to help judge this years LEGO competition.
One entry this year was the Technic loader built as the alternate model of the
forest tractor, I was able to point that out to the other judges that it was not
original. Some others were existing sets with a few more parts added.

Alllan...

--
Scott E. Sanburn
CADD Operator, CADD Systems Administrator

Work Page:
http://www.aeieng.com/
Home Page:
http://www.geocities.com/~legoguy712/index.html
Lego Page:
http://www.geocities.com/~legoguy712/legoindex.html

“The more people I meet, the more I like my Lego collection.”