 Off-Topic / Debate / 23437
Re: Couple of interesting screeds from a site I just found
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 21:42:53 GMT

   At the very least, those true Conservatives might simply withhold their votes for Dubya, even if they don’t vote against him.

This sounds reasonable, though, in my mind, not advisable. Change is best inacted from within, not by pouting on the out.

Surely, but it’s human nature to pout (in some fashion, or to some degree) when one really doesn’t get one’s way. For example, it’s been suggested that blacks in Florida might be less eager to vote in 2004 after they were (or perceived themselves to have been) denied of fair voting access in 2000. Similarly, if Conservatives feel they’ve been betrayed by the man they voted for in preference to Gore, those same Conservatives might not vote for Dubya again.

Granted, in the immediate term this can amount to autodenasalation, but if one takes the long view, it can be seen as a way to goad one’s party toward a certain course.

Not to me. Case in point: the Libertarians. They have made woeful progress as a party, besides the fact that they have some good ideas. Trying to change incrimentally from within either party rather than all at once in their own ineffectual party just seems like a no-brainer. Principle-schminciple. Please. Seems to me to be more about intellectual snobbery than true desire for change....

   In this regard, I must admit, Conservatives have been generally better at working toward longterm goals than Liberals have been. 8^(

   Again, I would say that conservatives should be careful what they wish for; Kerry happens to be the most liberal senator in our senate.

Is that true? I would have thought Kucinich to be more Liberal than Kerry, or even Ted Kennedy, though I haven’t reviewed their voting records. Anyway,

http://www.americasnewspaper.com/middle.shtml
   you know I don’t have a problem with putting a Liberal into office!

:-)

JOHN