 Off-Topic / Debate / 22692
Re: The 1st....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:33:07 GMT

Here's a topic for your consideration--

I'm reading some other NG's, and there's a hotly debated issue--the NG is
privately owned by the web owners, and, as such, they believe they can edit the
content of posted messages for language and other content not suitable for the
PG13 group and under.

Well, some posters cry "1st!" and their rights being infringed.

So here's some points--

Do the rights of the owners of the private web service trump the 1st?  Does the
1st even apply to privately owned bulletin boards?

It's the owners board - they are not obligated to allow you to use it as a
sounding board, unless they have specifically stated otherwise (TOS, possibly
for a fee).  Personally, I wouldn't participate in a service that did editing.

If the webserver is located in the territory of the US but the poster is not
American, does that ammendment (or any American laws) apply to the poster...

And the reverse--if the service is outside the US but the poster is American,
does he have the 1st as a right?

If the poster isn't in America, or an American by birth or naturalization, I
would think not.  If he is American, he would have the right no matter where he
is (assuming that that right applied, which I don't believe it does).  Of
course, he may be censured at the source end.

-->Bruce<--