 Off-Topic / Debate / 22682
Re: The 1st....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:10:53 GMT

Here's a topic for your consideration--

I'm reading some other NG's, and there's a hotly debated issue--the NG is
privately owned by the web owners, and, as such, they believe they can edit the
content of posted messages for language and other content not suitable for the
PG13 group and under.

Well, some posters cry "1st!" and their rights being infringed.

So here's some points--

Do the rights of the owners of the private web service trump the 1st?  Does the
1st even apply to privately owned bulletin boards?

If the webserver is located in the territory of the US but the poster is not
American, does that ammendment (or any American laws) apply to the poster...

And the reverse--if the service is outside the US but the poster is American,
does he have the 1st as a right?

It's an interesting topic for me, seeing as how I read a variety of NG's every
day.

Seems pretty cut and dried to me. What rights did the posters purchase from the
owner of the publishing venue (the owner of the privately owned BB)? Assuming
the owner is in the US that's all that matters, posters nationality is
irrelevant. Except for those specific rights, the posters have no rights
whatever to their words or to have them published. The rights are usually stated
in the ToS of the site.

Not that interesting a topic to me, really, since the answer's so blindingly
obvious. (the posters crying 1st are completely and totally all wet)

The owner exposes themselves to liability, though, once they abridge or edit the
words of the posters, they are taking on responsibility for content... something
LUGNET, for example, avoids for the most part since no edit or abridgment is
done by the owners, except at the request of the originator.