 Off-Topic / Debate / 22452
Re: Holy crap! (was Re: The partisian trap in California)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 19 Oct 2003 20:06:40 GMT

Once again, in the category of “Why Bother?”...

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Justin Pankey wrote:
   Neo-Nazi’s and the KKK are not Christians at all! The term means one that follows Christ and His teachings. There is no evidence in any of Christ’s teaching that He would suppport the actions of these groups, in fact their actions are entirely counter to the fundamental teaching of Christ.

You do not get to decide that -- they do! I am pretty sure a Xtian is anyone calling themselves a Xtian, however misguided you may think their beliefs may be. For example, President Shrub thinks of himself as a Xtian -- I think it’s just his cloak to commit atrocities in the world, but it doesn’t change the fact that he identifies himself as Xtian. Same thing for Boykin, who is covered elsewhere in this forum.

   In Christianity God is seen as “God the Father” a God that you can personally know and one that acts as a human father (love plus dicipline). In Islam, for example, Allah is not personally knowable and his character is more “dictatorial.” Articles on this subject fill many complex pages. The bottom line is that the societies where many people are uneducated/illiterate and taught the dictates of Islam...those societies tend to be MUCH MORE subject to becoming dictatorships.

Again, you do not get to decide these various issues for people. There are many flavors of of Xtianity and Islam with varying degrees of a “dictatorial” godhead. To borrow and repair your phrase: “complex articles on this subject fill many pages.”

And finally, this part was interesting: “The bottom line is that the societies where many people are uneducated/illiterate and taught the dictates of Islam...those societies tend to be MUCH MORE subject to becoming dictatorships.”

Oh yeah, then explain the history of Germany in the last century to me? How about that of Italy? Japan?

With the McCarthy Era behind us, but with our recent/current bout with the forces arrayed against american liberty; how do you measure our supposedly “Xtian” ripeness for a dictatorship? I think ALL of the people in power today seeking to limit american freedoms are Xtian -- it’s an interesting correlation to many because it seems to suggest a nexus between people of a particular faith and a certain kind of apocalyptic irrationality that is problematic in our western culture. You may disagree with their agenda as much as I do, but do you deny that they often dress up their goals in Xtian terms in an attempt to appeal to the Xtian-right? I mean, for all I know they actually believe their own pyscho-Xtian agenda. But which do you find less worrying: they they actually believe it, or that they don’t but that it is a useful political tool for them?

Stop being so myopic, please! There are many flavors of religion and belief; many of them deeply offensive to those of us that love peace more than any possible god.

-- Hop-Frog