 Off-Topic / Debate / 22418
Re: Holy crap! (was Re: The partisian trap in California)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:26:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:

   For myself, I just can’t stand to see people raise untrue statements. I am going after John not because of what he believes but ONLY for the pointedly false statements and false impressions that he communicates. He made a very particular and bigotted statement and I feel compelled to make him swallow it back again. In doing so, I reveal the false nature of the statement.

Have you ever heard of Marcion, Richard? He was an early heretic who held that the God of Jesus and Yahweh were indeed different Gods entirely. Now, I am no Marcionite, but if I were, wouldn’t it be rather intolerant of you to question my beliefs?

   I am not a member of the Islamic faith, but I am not going to let another participant of this forum make a bald-faced attack on that faith system without a fight.

Mike P wrote: “Nevermind the fact that most people are too close-minded to realize that those of the Christian, Jewish, and Muslim faiths, all pray to the same god. Allah is the Arabic word for God and is not a name.”

And then John replied with: “Our God is not the same God of people who murder women and children in His name. If you call that close-minded, so be it.”

That exchange, through no fault on Mike’s part, is the lowest point to which off-topic.debate has ever descended, IMHO. I personally will not tolerate intolerance, whether there are any muslim members amongst us or not.

Please, spare us the dramatics. My statement had nothing to do with Islam per se, but with Muslim extremists. They are the ones actively murdering innocent people in the name of God. If anything, you should be apologizing for lumping all peaceful practicers of Islam in with these evil people.

   I do not spoil for faith-based disputes, but one has found me.

John needs to do a lot of backpedalling here. Frankly, an apology to the known and unknown participants of this forum wouldn’t be amiss in my view.

I will do no such thing. First of all, your analogy is flawed. You tried to equivocate my statement:

“Our God is not the same God of people who murder women and children in His name.”

with numerous OT references of the Israelites wiping out enemies in battle. I used the active indictative “murder” or “are murdering” whereas you equated that with actions that may or may not have taken place some 4000 years ago. Not the same. Now, if you are able to cite a reference demonstrating some Christians today who are actively murdering women and children in God’s name, then your challenge might have some bite, but I would only distance myself from those “Christians” as well (but more likely you will find that there are Christians around the world who are being persecuted and executed because of their faith).

Further, your lame attempt to equate the early Israelites to current Muslim extremists is actually what is offensive, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt, trying to explain to you that the Tanach is a book of faith, not a record book, etc. Those stories are 4,000 years old; that they occured as written is highly doubtful, but not the point anyway. The point is that Christians have come to the full realization that God is a loving God, and since God never changes, God must have been that way when He pursued a covenant relationship with the early Israelites whether they realized it or not.

You claim to be tolerant, but your bigotry and hatred (of me personally, no doubt) has gotten the better of you. I would bet that most people gathered that I was making a fair distinction between the followers of loving God-- Jews, Christians and Muslims alike, with hate-filled murdering extremists, so your defense is unwarranted and misplaced. Go home, white knight.

JOHN