 Off-Topic / Debate / 22393
Re: God's Nature
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 19:54:28 GMT

   Blinkered Bigot!

Let’s make things nice and sparkling clear shall we?

You said: “Our God is not the same God of people who murder women and children in His name. If you call that close-minded, so be it.” http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=22287

I showed that the first statement is false on it’s face, by quoting from the OT story of the conquest! http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=22290 The second statement is one that I think means that you acknowledge yourself as a bigot and are even smug in this posture.

You would appear to claim that my OT quotes are somehow irrelevant, because of some special interpretation or something. The fact remains that one of the central myths of your faith is that of a “Promised land” won through genocide! That’s not my fault, it’s your sacred text! I happen to be openminded enough to be on very intimate terms with that text. I find, more often than not, that people claiming themselves as “true believers” and true adherents of the Bible often have no idea about the ideas and statements the Bible actually contains.

Getting things back to square one: please show me how given the existence of the Book of the Conquest, you thought you could make the above statement and not get called on it?

BTW, blinkered can be defined as: “subjective and limited, as in viewpoint or perception.” Now which one of us does that truly describe? Aren’t you “close-minded” and “so be it”? Generally, you do little here but show your own woefully limited viewpoint. How does my quoting you from your own holy text make me a bigot? I did nothing but claim a literal translation for a passage that is repetitiously clear as to its meaning -- no special knowledge or extensive reading is required to understand it. The sad truth is that you haven’t earned the right to call me names just because I am the one that is pointing out your miserably myopic worldview, or the inconsistencies of your faith.

How am I to perceive you as anything but painfully ignorant or bigoted in these discussons when you have shown that you either didn’t know about the quoted passages; or alternatively, that you knew but that you are still willing to make such crazy statements because you are one: “who is strongly partial to his own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ”? That’s a dictionary definition of a bigot!

As usual, you have done nothing to forward your end of the argument. You just make indefensible statements and unwarranted attacks.

How about the simple addmission that you were wrong? Or failing that -- where is your alternative interpretation of those passages from Joshua? What is the secret, “revealed,” and “loving” meaning behind words like:

?And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword.?

???

-- Hop-Frog