 Off-Topic / Debate / 22251
Gun Debate: No Proof for Either Side!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 12:36:50 GMT

Do gun laws prevent violence? Health officials don’t know

http://cnn.health.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&expire=11%2F02%2F2003&urlID=7786574&fb=Y&partnerID=2012

ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) --A sweeping federal review of the nation’s gun control laws -- including mandatory waiting periods and bans on certain weapons -- found no proof such measures reduce firearm violence.

This inconclusive conclusion will itself probably be debated. But to me it suggests that how one thinks of gun control is and shall remain an entirely political matter -- that there is no scientifically proven “correct” side to the debate. Everyone believes the evidence that they prefer and which seems to support their side of the debate.

Gun control remains a political subject and I will continue defending the right to bear arms for purely political reasons. The right to protect myself, my loved ones, and sometimes my property through the use of arms is the first political necessity -- think of it as the first law: the law of the jungle, but without the Darwinian “survival of the fittest” stuff attached to it. A seemingly weak person that can and will use a gun is just as lethal as a very strong man.

All other things being equal, I’ll stick by the logic of my political forebearers.

-- Hop-Frog