 Off-Topic / Debate / 22252
Re: Flaming Smokestacks, Batman! (was Re: Introducing JetRed)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 14:12:22 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tony Alexander wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
OK, next time someone asks why no one comments, I'll just not bother commenting
at all if I can't be 100% positive.

Is that what's wanted?
     Nope.  I'm not bothered by negative commentary.  I'm bothered by the tone
of that commentary...it's pretty smart-alecky.

I reread my original reply. I didn't see it. I know my intent and I know it
wasn't intended.

In general, you (as a generic reader) don't have the right not to be insulted by
what other people write. But if it came across that way to a lot of people, then
the fault is mine, I'm the author and communication wasn't did.

I don't see this as a fruitful line to go down further, really. I'd like to not
see this newsgroup be one where people habitually beg for feedback, I think it's
a bad practice. I'd also prefer not to be in a position where people who then
give it get jumped on by others for the way it was given.

Those two things together are very very stifling to free discourse.

If you want positive feedback from your audience you have to make stuff the
audience likes. This audience is diverse(1) If you want EVERYONE to like it, and
like it uniformly, that's not going to happen. I happen to like some aspects of
this particular model and not others. After feedback was begged for, I gave it.

     Either way, I hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Speaking of being condescending and smart alecky, that sentence (which you used
twice now) rubs me the wrong way. It implies that I said what I said because I
was grumpy, not because I was saying what I wanted to say. That's kind of
insulting, actually, and while I don't have the right not to be insulted, it's
not helping your case with me, if I'm the one (rather than the audience) you're
trying to convince...

Yesterday I was at the first (setup) day of NWBrickCon... it's hard to see how I
could have had much better of a day than that!

1 - I think there are other people who like representational (but perhaps
selectively compressed) more than fantastical. It's not unanimous by any stretch
but .trains does tend to focus on prototypes more than other groups. I know I
strive for it in everything I do, within the limits of the scale I work in, and
if I miss badly I want to hear about it. That's not to say that modeling style
is for everyone but I bet it's the majority of the readers here.