 Off-Topic / Debate / 22162
Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:31:04 GMT

   I agree. In a country where you don’t know if you’re going to be alive 5 minutes from now, in a country where there’s no police forces cutting down the crime, in a country where the armed forces are not working to maintain the peace, order and freedoms of the citizens, then yes, have the gun. But if you live at 32 Elm Street, Anywhere, USA, you aren’t living in that country.

Uh, that is seriously a load of crap. The U.S. is practically a warzone depending on where you live and the color of your skin.

I have mentiond here before that I know of several instances of police abuse amongst people I know -- immediate friends of mine. One such case would be when the police forced their way into my pal’s apartment, planted drugs on him, then beat him for a while, ultimately arresting him for possession of the drugs they had planted on him in the first place. Luckily he had neighbors witness the whole thing from the doorway of his flat. He was still arrested and prosecuted but he managed to beat the rap. Afterwards, he had to spend considerable time suing the policemen that did all of that BS to him. And let’s not forget the permanent spinal injuries he suffered while they had him on the ground and kicked him. Burbank, CA. circa the early 1980s. Not exactly the ghetto either.

If you don’t like that story, read the famous one:

Bivens v. Six Unknown Fed. Narcotics Agents, 403 U.S. 388

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cas80.htm

“In such cases, there is no safety for the citizen, 403 U.S. 395 except in the protection of the judicial tribunals, for rights which have been invaded by the officers of the government, professing to act in its name. There remains to him but the alternative of resistance, which may amount to crime.

What was that again, Kooties? Right -- the govt. is my friend and the police are just there to “serve and protect” me. Did you know that the police have no liability to serve and protect anyone not already in police custody? Think about it -- if it were otherwise anyone suffering an injury of any kind in a criminal matter would have the right to sue the police for dereliction of duty and negligence. Of course, they have no such duty -- and consequently no such lawsuits pending. And it has been tried, BTW.

The contortions of logic necessary to see your side of this argument are getting a little extreme. You have proven nothing and asserted much. I am not against your position theoretically, but you are talking about things you clearly do not understand.

You express yourself in platitudes intended to pursuade, but what you haven’t done is show me how an AK-47 is not the weapon upon which a political rebellion could be predicated. You speak of the transition of power from president to president as if that were the only game in town -- but hey, we just had the losing party appointed president the last time around. Talk about ignoring the facts.

Now I’m not ready today to do anything revolutionary, but the time may yet come to perform acts as a matter of right and civic duty. Acts that may only be exercised tomorrow if the right to bear arms is preserved today.

I don’t mean to be offensive here, but your debate style in this thread has seemed quite thin and shrill, at least to me. Where’s the meat in your arguments?

-- Hop-Frog