 Off-Topic / Debate / 22043
Re: Stop the madness...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:43:21 GMT

   I’d be interested to learn the political leanings of the aforementioned paralyzed drunkard.

Well, either he’s a liberal who genuinely feels he’s been victimized, or a new liberal who has been convinced (by a shyster who gets 40% off of the top) that he is owed something somehow.

So you’re saying that anyone who seeks compensation for a dumb action that he himself commits must be a liberal?

I suspect that you’re kidding, because otherwise you’re asserting that no Conservative has ever sought, will ever seek, or would ever seek compensation for such an accident. There are plenty of Conservative shysters out there, too. One Kenneth Starr springs to mind, not to mention John Ashcroft...

   After all, we know that Conservatives absolutely adore and support actions free of consequence.

Now, now, not so, Dave! Please don’t sit there and tell me that you are against tort reform-- it is a problem evident to even a liberal (unless of course said liberal is a shyster).

Well, tort reform also represents a rhetorical problem, insofar as rich Republicans and corporate apologists have decreed that “$250,000.00 is enough money for the rabble,” so they lose any moral authority they might otherwise have claimed on the subject. Additionally, it has not been demonstrated to my satisfaction that pain-and-suffering suits are as overwhelmingly pervasive as industry would have us believe, nor that the solution is to slap an arbitrary pricecap on compensation.

I assert that I’m not inclined to reward idiots who go out of their way to kill or maim themselves (eg, if you use your lawnmower as a ceiling fan, then you have no claim to damages when it cuts off the top of your skull). However, if you want to get rid of costly pain-and-suffering compensation, then you should simply allow courts to reward infinite punitive damages when a company is deliberately or culpably negligent or injurious.

But I was in any case referring to such Conservatives as Kennyboy Lay, George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, Paul Wolfowitz, Condoleezza Rice, and others. Clearly they consider themselves absolutely immune to the consequences of their actions.

Dave!