 Off-Topic / Debate / 21752
Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:14:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Maddison wrote:

Pumping a shotgun is a
rather dramatic sound, eh?  Tangent, but I always find it interesting that
in movies, the action of the gun is always shown (heard) before the actual
firing, simply because it's a sound that illicits fear and is plain cool.

  Good point, but here's something that's always bothered me.  Very often we'll
see some menacing fellow onscreen brandishing a .45 or even a shotgun, and by
brandishing it he coerces some other character to undertake some action or
inaction.  But then, a minute or two later, the gun-toter *cocks* the thing for
emphasis.  How dangerous is an uncocked weapon?  I know you can cock-and-shoot
in a second or so, but if you're fighting for your life, wouldn't you want to
elminate even that split-second delay?

It's about telling a story - it's a short-cut to tell the audience that tension
is ratcheting up and that events are now balanced upon a fine hair.  Using a gun
in single-action mode (manually pulling back the trigger) is usually entirely
unnecessary, but can shorten the trigger pull depending upon the weapon.

  Another thing--lots of times the gun-toter will be pointing the gun at someone
while resting his/her finger on the outside of the trigger guard.  Why?!

To avoid an accidental discharge.  Don't put your finger on the trigger until
you are ready to shoot.  Fall?  Bang!  Oops.  Loud noise?  Bang!  Oops.
Tension?  Bang!  Oops.  Etc.

-->Bruce<--