 Off-Topic / Debate / 21733
Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:13:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Maddison wrote:

Pumping a shotgun is a
rather dramatic sound, eh?  Tangent, but I always find it interesting that
in movies, the action of the gun is always shown (heard) before the actual
firing, simply because it's a sound that illicits fear and is plain cool.

  Good point, but here's something that's always bothered me.  Very often we'll
see some menacing fellow onscreen brandishing a .45 or even a shotgun, and by
brandishing it he coerces some other character to undertake some action or
inaction.  But then, a minute or two later, the gun-toter *cocks* the thing for
emphasis.  How dangerous is an uncocked weapon?  I know you can cock-and-shoot
in a second or so, but if you're fighting for your life, wouldn't you want to
elminate even that split-second delay?
  Another thing--lots of times the gun-toter will be pointing the gun at someone
while resting his/her finger on the outside of the trigger guard.  Why?!

     Dave!