 Off-Topic / Debate / 21741
Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:55:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:

   I think overall gun crime is rising (perhaps we should ban all guns?)

Gotta stop ya right there. I think there should be a ban on certain firearms - Joe Schlub has no need to go buy an Uzi, AK-47, grenade launcher, etc. Sure, recreational shooting and all, yeah. These were weapons designed and built to take human life. OTOH, things like run of the mill shotguns, rifles, handguns, etc. have an age-old purpose. They were used long ago to take game and feed people, and that’s what I continue to use them for today.

The trouble is, if you ban one thing, it opens it up to make a clean sweep of the rest. So, as bassackwards as it is, I’d rather have Uzis available for retail than not be able to buy a 12 gauge. It’s not like people who buy uzis to kill people buy them legally anyways (gotta love the black market).

   It’s not just ownership; it’s culture. Michael Moore tells me you are a nation of conformists who live in fear… I just don’t need a gun. Why do you need one? What do you fear? ;)

A) Michael Moore is an idiot. I have yet to find one thing I like about that man. Forget his views and ideals, I think he’s a bad example of a human being.

B) I don’t need a gun either. If I woke up tomorrow and didn’t have a gun, I’d keep breathing; the world wouldn’t end. As it stands right now, it’s my right to own them, and I choose to exercise that right. -Chris