 Off-Topic / Debate / 21740
Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:13:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:

   Where I live only 1 or 2 home-owners are killed by burglars each year. In 2000 there were a total of 64 (sixy-four) handgun offences in Scotland.

Pittsburgh, PA alone has about that many offenses each month. Maybe it’s because we spell offenses with an “s” rather than a “c.”

   If handgun ownership were deregulated here, I expect both numbers would rise.

That suggests an interesting thought experiment, which I pose to our resident self-proclaimed “gun toting yahoos” as follows:

If the UK were to deregulate gun ownership, and if gun violence were to increase subsequently, what might you suggest as an explanation? Would you identify a correlation?

Well you would kind of have to now wouldn’t you? Of course enacting regulation in the first place and no impact on the crime rate so I don’t see why deregulation would either.

The latest stats for Scotland show:
  • Handgun crime is lower now than 10 years ago (they were “banned” in 97).
  • 50% of gun crime involves air weapons.
  • Gun deaths per 100,000 = 0.12 (in the USA it is 4.08 - that’s 3400% higher!)
I think overall gun crime is rising (perhaps we should ban all guns?), but I doubt you’ll find data that suggest increased gun ownership in the UK would improve things?

It’s not just ownership; it’s culture. Michael Moore tells me you are a nation of conformists who live in fear… I just don’t need a gun. Why do you need one? What do you fear? ;)

Scott A

-Mike Petrucelli