 Off-Topic / Debate / 21737
Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:43:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:

Where I live only 1 or 2 home-owners are killed by burglars each year. In
2000 there were a total of 64 ([sixy-four]) handgun offences in Scotland.

  Pittsburgh, PA alone has about that many offenses each month. Maybe it's
because we spell offenses with an "s" rather than a "c."

If handgun ownership were deregulated here, I expect both numbers would rise.

  That suggests an interesting thought experiment, which I pose to our resident
self-proclaimed "gun toting yahoos" as follows:

  If the UK were to deregulate gun ownership, and if gun violence were to
increase subsequently, what might you suggest as an explanation?
Would you identify a correlation?

Well you would kind of have to now wouldn't you? Of course enacting regulation
in the first place and no impact on the crime rate so I don't see why
deregulation would either.

-Mike Petrucelli