 Off-Topic / Debate / 2172
Re: Latter Day Saints (was:Re: God and the Devil and forgiveness (was Re: POV-RAY orange color))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 03:57:19 GMT

<FHwnDv.rC@lugnet.com> <37DC7251.4794C59D@eclipse.net>

Christopher Weeks wrote:

John DiRienzo wrote:

Again, nonsense.  Governments are created to organize society, to provide
order.  Are you saying anarchy and chaos are *good*?

   Are you saying our government is good?  I think it is the best, but that
doesn't make it good, not even close.  I maintain that all governments are
designed to make those who run it rich at the expense of everyone else.  You
are a sensible person - how can you argue with that??

I don't usually like 'me too's, but I was going to say something much
like this.  Governments claim to be good, and for organization and
economy of scale, and they throw bones to the masses just enough to stay
in power - for a time.  But the reality is that the people pulling the
strings are getting rich and we're paying for it.

And *who* might those people be?  Because the reality is that the people in power
are *not* the elected officials in our country.  The elected are *not* the
richest.  Your paranoia of governments is amusing (as if they all can be lumped
together for one sweeping conclusion).  I'm not defending our government per se;
much about it stinks.  But it is 1) not evil, and b) as you both agree, better
than any other large scale system out there.  If you don't like it, work to
change it.  But I don't think the "design" or idea or purpose of our government
is to keep the masses in check so the elite can prosper. This country was
*founded* upon the principles of freedom and equality.

-John

--Chris