 Off-Topic / Debate / 2180
Re: Latter Day Saints (was:Re: God and the Devil and forgiveness (was Re: POV-RAY orange color))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 14:42:57 GMT

John Neal wrote:

Governments claim to be good, and for organization and
economy of scale, and they throw bones to the masses just enough to stay
in power - for a time.  But the reality is that the people pulling the
strings are getting rich and we're paying for it.

And *who* might those people be?

To some extent elected officials, but mostly businesses which have a
strong lobby.

Because the reality is that the people in power
are *not* the elected officials in our country.  The elected are *not* the
richest.

Right, but they don't do too bad either.

Your paranoia of governments is amusing (as if they all can be lumped
together for one sweeping conclusion).

Well, I'm glad that I entertain you.  They who?  Governmental employees?
Supporters of the government?  Which government?

I'm not defending our government per se;
much about it stinks.  But it is 1) not evil, and b) as you both agree, better
than any other large scale system out there.

I suppose that depends on your definition of evil.  If it hinges on your
relationship with Jesus, then I suppose it's not evil.  If an
institution which murders the innocent, puts itself in debt so far that
there is really no way it will ever get even and keeps on laughing, sets
up 'rights' that are self-evident in the primary document of law and
then ignores and denies them, and regulates the economy so that fat cats
stay fat and the poor keep working for the middle class, is evil, then I
think our system of government qualifies.

If you don't like it, work to change it.

Viva la revolution!  The short answer is that I can't.  I expect the US
federal gubmint to crumble during my lifetime and I'll be there to help
shape the phoenix.

But I don't think the "design" or idea or purpose of our government
is to keep the masses in check so the elite can prosper.

Who do you suppose set the country up?  Not the poor.  And even if we
agree that the founders had a good idea, it was only implemented for 60
years.  From that time on (at least) the government has been primarily
concerned with self-perpetuation and self-agrandizement, while the
people in power keep getting richer.

This country was *founded* upon the principles of freedom and equality.

Really?  I think we'd still be in the commonwealth if it weren't for
slavery.  What the hell brand of freedom and equality was that?

-John

--Chris